Yesterday Techcrunch broke this story:
- #1 iPhone games publisher buys #2(3?) iPhone games publisher to further cement leadership
- #2 Facebook games publisher buys #3 facebook game publisher in bid to take lead position away from #1 FB games publisher
- Leading western games publisher buys another entry ticket in race for China gaming market (Popcap has social games/portal play in China, a shanghai studio doing original IP, etc)
- EA buys leading casual games dev, "Popcap is the Valve of casual games" says Someone.
- MS buys publisher of popular iPhone, iPad games in bid to secure exclusive content/features for MS phones/tablets
- MS buys publisher of social games in bid to catch up in that race
- See same two above points about traction in Asia and Popcap's production abilities, quality